In this part-time online Fashion Designer Certificate Course, you will learn important principles and practical step-by-step techniques for getting started in a career as a professional fashion designer.
Become a Fashion Designer
You will learn: what a fashion designer does, how to develop your skills to succeed in a fashion design career, how to get hired for a job in fashion design, and how to start your own fashion design business and get clients.
What Happens in the Fashion Designer Certificate Course
The Fashion Designer Certificate course is an online learning program with suggested readings from the textbook (FabJob Guide to Become a Fashion Designer). Unlike some other fashion designing courses, this course is self directed, which means you may study and complete assignments at times that are most convenient for you from the comfort of your own home.
This part-time Fashion Designing Course has a recommended completion date of 6 weeks from the start of the program, however, you may choose to complete the course in as little as 4 weeks or as long as 12 weeks, depending on your schedule.
The Fashion Designer Certificate Course has been created to allow you to complete it without any teaching assistance. However, if you have questions or need assistance, you can receive help from a Faculty Member throughout the 6 weeks of the course. Your Faculty Member is a valuable resource person who can provide you with personal teaching assistance to help you succeed in the course and advice to help you succeed in the career.
The Fashion Designer Certificate Course has been developed to meet high academic standards, ensuring that as a graduate you can display with pride the Fashion Designer Certificate you will earn from the International Association of Professions Career College.
Topics covered in the Fashion Designing Course include the following:
An Overview of the Fashion Design Industry
- Customer Motivations
- Who’s Who (and Where) in Fashion Design
- Fashion Seasons and Cycles
- The Categories of Fashion
- Producing Garments from Design through Execution
Developing Your Skills
- Identifying Trends and Enhancing Your Creativity
- Sketching by Hand versus Computer-Aided Design
- Identifying and Acquiring Textile and Sewing Knowledge
- Formal and Informal Ways to Hone Your Skills
Getting Hired as a Fashion Designer
- Types of Employers and Responsibilities of Design Employees
- Entry-Level Positions in Apparel and the Best Ways to Find Job Openings
- Preparing Your Portfolio and Theme Boards
- Powerful Resumes, Cover Letters, Interviews and References
Starting Your Own Fashion Design Business
- Choosing a Niche
- Your Business Plan
- Start-Up Budgeting and Funding
- Choosing a Name and Trademarking Your Label
- Supplies and Equipment for Design and for Manufacture
- Finding and Choosing Employees, Contractors and Manufacturers
Marketing Your Designs
- Define Your Target Market and Leverage Your Unique Selling Point
- Industry Tools for Fashion Design
- Website, Catalogs and Other Marketing Tools
- Advertising and Free Publicity
- Private Clients, Boutiques, Department Stores or Online?
- Three Types of Shows
- Consignment, Payment, Returns, Sample Sales and Many Other Topics
What Is Included in the Fashion Designer Certificate Course
This all-inclusive Fashion Designer Certificate Course package includes:
- Registration for the Fashion Designer Certificate Course
- Access to a Faculty Member to provide you with personal teaching assistance and career advice
- (Optional) 2020 membership in the IAPO International Association of Professional Fashion Designers for only $2 per month
- Downloadable Fashion Designer Certificate personalized with your name and the seal of the International Association of Professions Career College which you may print
- (Optional) Opportunity to order official certificates printed on fine linen paper and embossed with the gold seal of the college
- Textbook: FabJob Guide to Become a Fashion Designer (e-book edition)
Register for the Fashion Designer Certificate Course
It’s easy to change or cancel your course registration. See our FAQ page for details.
You can have all this for an incredible price. It can cost hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars to take other programs. (We found courses based on old editions of our guides with registration fees of up to $999 and more.) We are able to offer you online courses at a significantly lower cost to you because of our expertise from almost 20 years of producing the leading online guides for non-traditional careers.
Our online certificate courses have previously been offered for a registration fee of $297 U.S. and include a textbook and professional membership – a total value of almost $377.
SPRING SPECIAL: This all-inclusive registration package for the Fashion Designer Certificate Course is priced as only $129 U.S. for the June 1, 2020 course.
Register today for the Fashion Designer Certificate Course. Enrollment is limited and registration is on a first come first served basis, so we recommend that you register early for the Fashion Designer Certificate Course online to avoid disappointment.
If the course is full, please email email@example.com to be notified when a new course date is scheduled.
How Much Money Do Fashion Designers Make?
Like many careers, a fashion designer’s salary depends on their skills and experience, the size of the company they work for, and the type of design they are doing. According to Winnie Von Werne, director of permanent placement for the New Jersey-based Lorelei Personnel, Inc.: entry-level designers come in at about $30,000-$35,000 per year; mid-level designers make between $35,000-$45,000 per year; senior designers start at around $120,000 per year; and management positions are from $85,000 up to $225,000 per year. Freelance positions vary, but can pay even more than salaried designers if the freelancer arranges a percentage of gross sales, or a per-unit payment on a product that does well. They may also be paid a retainer for their services.
What Does a Fashion Designer Do?
Some fashion designers work for top couture houses while others are employed by mass-market apparel manufacturers. You might even start your own fashion design business, establishing a distinctive style and overseeing fashion creation from initial concept to manufacturing and distribution.
How Do I Become a Fashion Designer?
Earning a certificate as a fashion designer will equip you with the principles and techniques for becoming a professional fashion designer. A certificate also provides evidence of your expertise, assurance of your professionalism, an important credential for your resume, a competitive advantage when marketing your services and higher earnings (according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
What is the Fashion Designer Certificate Course?
In IAP Career College’s part-time online Fashion Designer Certificate Course you will earn certification as a fashion designer and learn important principles and practical step-by-step techniques for getting started in a career as a professional fashion designer. This online course has a recommended completion date of 6 weeks, however it may be completed in as little as 4 weeks or as long as 12 weeks. The course has been created to allow you to complete it without any teaching assistance, however as a student you have access to Faculty Members to provide you with personal teaching assistance and career advice.
What is IAP Career College?
The International Association of Professions Career College (IAP Career College) is a leading online career college offering affordable online certificate courses and professional certifications for non-traditional and "dream" careers. When you take a part-time online certificate course with IAP Career College, you can schedule your learning around your life - you can work at your own pace, at the best times for you and from the comfort of your own home. IAP Career College and affiliated company FabJob Inc (the leading online publisher of guide books on how to get started in a dream career) have served over half a million career changers on six continents since 1999.