Would you like to receive credit for experience you already have in your career? Then IAPO professional certification based on life experience may be right for you.
IAPO Professional Certification
IAP Career College now offers certification through IAPO for individuals who have worked to establish themselves as professionals in one of the fields for which we provide career education. You can see a list of the careers in which we offer professional education in the Certificate Courses drop-down menu at the top of this page.
IAPO is the International Association of Professional Organizations, an association of almost 100 professional membership organizations affiliated with IAP Career College.
Applicants who provide evidence of their experience can be recognized as an IAPO Certified Professional (IAPOC) or IAPO Master Certified Professional (IAPMC) in your career field. For example, if your career field is business consulting, you might qualify to become an IAPO Certified Professional Business Consultant or IAPO Master Certified Professional Business Consultant.
Requirements for Professional Certification Based on Life Experience
The minimum requirement to become an IAPO Certified Professional is a combination of experience and education equivalent to three (3) years of full-time employment in the career field, while the minimum requirement to become an IAPO Master Certified Professional is the equivalent of five (5) years of full-time employment in the career field.
Those who do not yet have years of full-time employment in the career field may achieve IAPO Professional Certification by providing evidence of other relevant life experience that demonstrates knowledge of the career field.
Applicants may choose from a menu of various life experience options chosen by a team of IAP Career College faculty members with expertise in professional education.
The life experience options have been allotted point values, with a minimum of 60 points needed to qualify for IAPO Professional Certification and a minimum of 100 points needed to qualify for Master Professional Certification designation. You can see a list of life experience options and values by scrolling down this page.
DEADLINE FOR SPRING: Apply by May 15, 2020
HOW TO APPLY: After you have read the information on this page and assembled your supporting documents, click the “APPLY HERE” link below to submit your application for IAPO Professional Certification or IAPO Master Professional Certification.
Included With IAPO Professional Certification
Successful applicants for IAPO Professional Certification receive all of the following services and benefits.
- The right to use an IAPO professional certification designation after your name on business cards, correspondence, and marketing materials. The current designations are IAPOC which stands for IAPO Certified Professional and IAPMC which stands for IAPO Master Certified Professional.
- One-year professional membership in the IAPO professional association of your choice
- Listing in the online member directory of IAPO International Association of Professional Organizations as a Certified Professional, including information about you and your professional services plus a link to your website
- (Optional) Announcement by IAP Career College of your achievement with a photo of you and link to your website
- Downloadable IAPO Certified Professional or IAPO Master Certified Professional certificate personalized with your name and the seal of the International Association of Professions Career College
- Official certificate with your name printed on fine linen paper and embossed with the gold seal of the International Association of Professions Career College mailed to you which you can show to prospective clients or employers.
How to Apply for IAPO Professional Certification
Here are the steps to apply for IAPO Professional Certification or IAPO Master Professional Certification:
1. First read all the information on this page, including “Life Experience Options and Points” and “Documenting Your Experience” further down this page.
2. Prepare the list of your qualifying life experiences.
3. Assemble all your supporting documents so they can be uploaded with your application.
4. Click on the APPLY HERE link. That will take you to a page where you will fill out the application form with supporting documents and submit your payment.
5. Your application and supporting materials will be reviewed by personnel from International Association of Professions Career College which administers the IAPO Professional Certification and IAPO Master Professional Certification programs.
APPLICATION FEE: The application fee for IAPO Professional Certification is $147 U.S. and the fee for IAPO Master Professional Certification is $197. This fee may be tax deductible as a business expense. IAPO MEMBERS SAVE 50%: Use coupon code IAPO for a 50% discount off the regular application fee.
Once you have assembled your documents, go to the Application Form for Professional Certification. If your application is unsuccessful, you will receive a refund minus a $25 administrative fee.
IAPO is the International Association of Professional Organizations. With IAPO Professional Certification and IAPO Master Professional Certification, we aim to honor individuals who are deserving of professional recognition in nontraditional career fields. (The word “field” refers to a specific profession or career.)
Shown below are a list of options which can count towards your professional certification. Each option has been given a point value. The minimum requirements to qualify for professional certification are:
IAPO Professional Certification: 60 points
IAPO Master Professional Certification: 100 points
If there is something that you believe should be counted as credit towards your professional certification but it is not included on the list below, please let us know by contacting email@example.com and we can determine a point value for it.
Life Experience Options and Points
The point values given below are for experiences in the field for which you are seeking professional certification. For example, if you are seeking Interior Decorator professional certification, you would receive the full point values shown below for being an interior decorating employee, business owner, manager, student, etc.
If you have experience in a related field, you can claim 60% of the point values shown below. So in the case of Interior Decorator certification, while a full-time year managing an interior decorating firm would be worth 30 points, you would be able to claim 60% (18 points) for a full-time year managing a home renovation business. However, no more than 50% of total points required (i.e. a maximum of 30 points for IAPO Professional Certification or 50 points for IAPO Master Professional Certification) can come from a related field.
If you’re not sure whether an experience is related to the professional certification for which you are applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and an Academic Advisor can give you an answer.
Work and Volunteer Experience
- Full-time work in the field as a business owner or senior manager – 30 points per year
- Full-time employment in the field as an employee – 20 points per year
- Part-time employment in the field – 5 points per 500 hours worked (example: if you worked an average of 20 hours per week over 50 weeks you could claim 10 points)
- Volunteer work in the field – 5 points per 500 hours worked
- Board of Directors service for an organization in the field – 5 points per organization per year to a maximum of 25 points
- Committee service in the field – 2 points per committee per year to a maximum of 20 points
- Work or volunteer experience in a related field – 60% of the point values shown above
Applicants may claim one degree and a maximum of 40 points in this category for IAPO Professional Certification or 60 points for IAPO Master Professional Certification.
- Ph.D. in the field – 40 points
- Master’s degree in the field – 30 points
- Bachelor’s degree in the field – 20 points
- Associate’s degree in the field – 10 points
- Successful completion of IAP Career College certificate course in the field – 5 points
- Continuing education in the field – 1 point per 10 hours to a maximum of 30 points
- Internship in the field – 1 point per 10 hours to a maximum of 10 points
- Apprenticeship in the field – 1 point per 10 hours to a maximum of 10 points
- Mentorship from a professional working in the field – 1 point per 10 hours to a maximum of 10 points
- Mentoring – 1 point per hour to a maximum of 10 points
- Teaching adults through recognized educational institution – 2 points per hour to a maximum of 30 points
- Academic scholarship received – 3 points
- Education in a related field – 60% of the point values shown above
Writing and Speaking About the Field
The following are points per each. Applicants may claim a maximum of 40 points in this category for IAPO Professional Certification or 60 points for IAPO Master Professional Certification.
- TED or TEDx speaker – 20 points
- Keynote speaker at national or international conference – 20 points
- Other speaking or leadership role at national event – 10 points
- Speaker at regional event – 5 points
- Speaker at local event – 2 points
- Author of book through traditional publishing company (author didn’t pay for publication) – 25 points
- Author of book which author has paid for publication with a rating of at least 4 out of 5 on Goodreads or other recognized site – 15 points
- Recipient of recognized book award – 5 points to a maximum of 15 points
- Article in peer-reviewed academic journal – 20 points
- Paper presented at conference – 10 points
- Hosting of national television show – 30 points
- Hosting of local television show – 10 points
- Hosting of podcast – 5 points
- Article or column published in national publication – 10 points
- Article or column published in local newspaper or magazine – 5 points
- Article or column published on website ranked in the top 1 million on Alexa – 5 points
- Professional blog post or vlog related to the topic– 2 points
- Writing and speaking in a related field – 60% of the point values shown above
Media and Other Recognition in the Field
The following are points per each. Applicants may claim a maximum of 40 points in this category for IAPO Professional Certification or 60 points for IAPO Master Professional Certification. Publications may be online or offline.
- Recipient of noteworthy international award – 30 points
- Recipient of noteworthy national award – 20 points
- Recipient of local award – 5 points
- Subject of Wikipedia page – 10 points
- Certification by international organization – 20 points
- Certification by national organization – 10 points
- Certification by local organization – 5 points
- Main subject of national newspaper or magazine article – 20 points
- Quoted in national publication – 5 points
- Main subject of local newspaper or magazine article – 10 points
- Quoted in local publication – 2 points
- National television appearance – 10 points
- Local television guest or interview – 5 points
- National radio guest or interview – 5 points
- Local radio guest or interview – 2 points
- Podcast guest – 2 points
- Testimonial letter from client or employer – 5 points
- Testimonial quotation from client or employer – 2 points
- Media and other recognition in a related field – 60% of the point values shown above
The following are points per each. Applicants may claim a maximum of 20 points in this category for IAPO Professional Certification or 30 points for IAPO Master Professional Certification.
- Professional website – 5 points
- LinkedIn page with relevant professional experience – 2 points
- Other current (updated within prior week) professional social media account – 2 points
- Professional membership in professional association – 5 points
- Student or associate membership in professional association – 3 points
- Professional presence in a related field – 60% of the point values shown above
Applicants may claim up to 15 points for the following types of clients worked with while applicant was a business owner or manager.
- Client in the Fortune 1000 or comparable international list – 5 points
- Client in the Inc. 5000 – 3 points
- Client that is a government department or agency – 3 points
- Client that is a recognized charitable organization (listed in a directory such as Givewell, Charity Watch, Charity Intelligence, etc.) – 3 points
Other Life Experiences
If there is something not on this list that you believe contributes to your professional expertise, and assists in showing you are deserving of professional certification, please let us know by contacting email@example.com and we can determine a point value for it. For example, someone applying for professional certification as a Travel Consultant could receive credit for travel to a variety of destinations.
Applicants may claim a maximum of 20 points in this category for IAPO Professional Certification or 30 points for IAPO Master Professional Certification. Applicants who do not have sufficient points in the other certification categories (Work and Volunteer Experience, Educational Experience, etc.) may have the option of earning Master Professional Certification through our academic program option.
If you don’t yet have enough life experiences to qualify for IAPO Professional Certification or IAPO Master Professional Certification, you may be able to earn Master Professional Certification through an academic program. Currently, IAP Career College offers an academic option for Master Professional Certification in 18 career fields. Please note that all academic programs require completion of a Master Project which is expected to take 120 hours of work (equal to three full-time work weeks), or about half the time recommended for writing a traditional college Master’s thesis.
Documenting Your Experience
When you submit your application for professional certification you will be asked to upload documents to: (1) list your life experiences and points, and (2) verify your life experiences.
Life Experiences and Points Form
The first document you will need is a simple list of your life experiences and their point values. The point values for different types of life experiences are listed on this web page. To prepare your list, use one of the following fillable forms (in PDF or Word format) which you can download to your computer to complete at your convenience:
If you use the Word form, it may ask you to click a button to “Enable Editing” after you open it. Be sure to save your IAPO Life Experiences and Points Form to your computer, and remember where you have saved it so you can upload it when you submit your Application Form. If you are using the PDF form, you may need to click “Save As” to save it to your computer, and we recommend saving while you work.
Documents to Verify Your Experiences
When you submit your application for professional certification you will also need to upload documents to verify your experience. You may include your resume or curriculum vitae (CV). However, additional documents are needed for proof of experience, and may include either or both of the following:
- Annotated list of web links (e.g. to your business website, media coverage, online articles, blog posts, Wikipedia page, LinkedIn, other social media, podcasts, etc.) If a password is required to access any web pages containing information that supports your application, please include the login information and password.
- Scans of relevant documents (e.g. diplomas, certificates, transcripts, employment verification letters, business license, awards, testimonial letters, print articles, photographs, etc.) If one or more of your supporting documents are online, please include the web address or URL(s) in the annotated list of web links described above.
All documents must be submitted electronically (we do not accept hard copies) and each applicant is responsible for providing documents in a standard format such as PDF. Documents that are not in English should be translated or include a notarized statement describing what is in the documents, signed by both the applicant and notary.
Once you have assembled your documents, go to the Application Form for Professional Certification.
Register for the 2020 Professional Certification Based on Life Experience
$147 for Professional Certification and $197 for Master Professional Certification
It’s easy to change or cancel your course registration. See our FAQ page for details.
REGISTRATION FEE: The 2020 Professional Certification Based on Life Experience, including all services and benefits, is valued at $797 U.S. As this is a new program, the course is currently being offered for a reduced fee depending on your starting date.
For 2020, the course is scheduled to be offered once per semester. The registration fee for the course is $. This fee may be tax deductible as a business expense, and is fully refundable if your application is not accepted for any reason.
If the course is full, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified when a new course date is scheduled.