AMI Indigenous and Refugee Scholarships from IAP Career College
International Association of Professions Career College, also known as IAP Career College, is a proudly Métis-owned private college. Therese ‘Tag’ Goulet, Academic Director, and Catherine Goulet, Chair of the Board of Trustees, are Métis — Indigenous Canadians of mixed Native (Cree, Ojibwe) and European (including French) descent.
The name of our scholarship has two meanings. The letters AMI are short for: Aboriginal, Métis, and Indigenous. These letters represent the people the scholarship is provided by and for.
AMI also has a second meaning: “Ami” is the French word for “friend,” which is fitting, because we want scholarship recipients to share their stories about earning a certificate from IAP Career College with their friends.
Scroll down this page for more information about this scholarship and how to apply.
Tag Goulet of IAP Career College (in red) with her mother Terry Goulet, Hon. Donald S. Ethell, Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, and her father George R.D. Goulet (right) after a 2012 ceremony where George was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his contributions in educating people about the Métis.
I recently graduated from the Book Publisher Certificate Course and I could not be more happy and excited! When I heard about this course, I thought it was too good to be true, especially when I heard about the AMI Indigenous Scholarship. I was surprised to find out that awards were being offered to Indigenous people, due to the fact that the education funds are being cut for all indigenous people around the world. At the time that I discovered this course, I wasn’t able to pay for it and I was in a bit of a ‘career funk’, not knowing where to turn. After being awarded the scholarship (quite quickly I may add!) I was able to take the course with ease. Being a self-publishing author has been a dream of mine since I was a child and now I can pursue that dream! Thank you to everyone at IAP Career College for helping me achieve my goals! Niá:wen/Thank you
About AMI Scholarships
The AMI Scholarship consists of free tuition for one IAP Career College basic certificate course of the scholarship recipient’s choice. If you are awarded an AMI Scholarship, you will receive:
- Registration for one part-time online IAP Career College basic certificate course of your choice (up to $189 US value)
- The textbook(s) for the certificate course in e-book format
- Access to a faculty member to provide you with up to three hours of personal teaching assistance and career advice
- 2024 student membership in an international professional association for your career
- Downloadable certificate personalized with your name and the seal of the International Association of Professions Career College which you may print upon successful completion of the course
Who May Receive the Scholarship
Scholarships may be awarded to up to 100 students per year who belong to either of these groups:
- Refugees as defined by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Members of an Aboriginal, Native or Indigenous group in the United States, Canada, Australia, or other countries where Indigenous people are a disadvantaged minority according to Human Rights Watch.
Not an Indigenous person or refugee, but need financial assistance? See our FAQ page for some options.
We ask that scholarship recipients serve as an inspiration to others by sharing their story about earning a professional certificate from IAP Career College. This sharing of information is optional, not required, and can be done through any method of the scholarship recipient’s choice. Options include, but are not limited to:
- writing about your experience in a blog post
- posting a photo or video on social media (for example, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Twitter)
- giving a talk for a group
- writing for the IAP Career College newsletter
- arranging for an article in a local publication about your scholarship and successful completion of the certificate course
- any other way of sharing information about your successful completion of a certificate course from IAP Career College
Each scholarship recipient may be awarded the AMI Scholarship only once, for one certificate course offered by International Association of Professions Career College.
How to Apply
Here’s how to successfully apply for this scholarship:
1. Obtain a scanned copy of an official document which provides proof of your membership in any of the eligible groups listed on this page under “Who May Receive the Scholarship”. For example, it might be an official membership card, a letter from a recognized authority, a government document, or other verifiable evidence.
2. Decide how you want to share information about your successful completion of an IAP Career College certificate course.
3. Complete a registration for the IAP Career College basic certificate course of your choice by doing the following:
- Click on the PROGRAMS link at the top of this page and choose CERTIFICATE COURSES ONLINE.
- Choose the certificate course you wish to take.
- Click on the “Register Now” button on the webpage for that course.
- Confirm the cart shows the correct course then click “Proceed to Checkout”.
- Complete the registration form with your name, address, and other information.
- Click the “Proceed to PayPal” button which will submit your registration (but do not complete payment).
4. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us that you have completed the registration form and are applying for an AMI Scholarship. With this email:
- Include a statement about how you plan to share information about your success in earning a certificate from IAP Career College after you finish your course. (This step is optional.)
- Attach a scanned copy of proof of your membership in one of the eligible groups (e.g. official membership card or other document from a recognized authority).