AMI Indigenous and Refugee Scholarships from IAP Career College
International Association of Professions Career College, also known as IAP Career College, is a proudly Métis-owned private college. Therese (Tag) Goulet, Academic Director, and Catherine Goulet, Chair of the Board of Trustees, are Métis — Aboriginal Canadians of mixed Native (Cree, Ojibwe) and European (including French) descent.
The name of our scholarship has two meanings. The letters AMI are short for: Aboriginal, Métis, and Indigenous. These letters represent the people the scholarship is provided by and for.
AMI also has a second meaning: “Ami” is the French word for “friend,” which is fitting, because we want scholarship recipients to share their stories about earning a certificate from IAP Career College with their friends.
Scroll down this page for more information about this scholarship and how to apply.
I recently graduated from the Book Publisher Certificate Course and I could not be more happy and excited! When I heard about this course, I thought it was too good to be true, especially when I heard about the AMI Indigenous Scholarship. I was surprised to find out that awards were being offered to Indigenous people, due to the fact that the education funds are being cut for all indigenous people around the world. At the time that I discovered this course, I wasn’t able to pay for it and I was in a bit of a ‘career funk’, not knowing where to turn. After being awarded the scholarship (quite quickly I may add!) I was able to take the course with ease. Being a self-publishing author has been a dream of mine since I was a child and now I can pursue that dream! Thank you to everyone at IAP Career College for helping me achieve my goals! Niá:wen/Thank you
About AMI Scholarships
The AMI Scholarship consists of free tuition for one IAP Career College basic certificate course of the scholarship recipient’s choice. If you are awarded an AMI Scholarship, you will receive:
- Registration for one part-time online IAP Career College basic certificate course of your choice (up to $149 US value)
- The textbook(s) for the certificate course in e-book format
- Access to a faculty member to provide you with up to three hours of personal teaching assistance and career advice
- 2020-21 membership in an international professional association for your career
- Downloadable certificate personalized with your name and the seal of the International Association of Professions Career College which you may print upon successful completion of the course
Who May Receive the Scholarship
Scholarships may be awarded to up to 100 students per year who belong to either of these groups:
Refugees as defined by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Members of an Aboriginal, Native or Indigenous group in the United States, Canada, Australia, or other countries where Indigenous people are a disadvantaged minority according to Human Rights Watch
Not an Indigeneous person or refugee, but need financial assistance? See our FAQ page for some options.
We ask that scholarship recipients serve as an inspiration to others by sharing their story about earning a professional certificate from IAP Career College. This sharing of information can be done through any method of the scholarship recipient’s choice. Options include, but are not limited to:
- writing about your experience in a blog post
- posting a photo on social media (for example, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- giving a talk for a group
- writing for the IAP Career College website or newsletter
- arranging for an article in a local publication about your scholarship and successful completion of the certificate course
- any other way of sharing information about your successful completion of a certificate course from IAP Career College
Each scholarship recipient may be awarded the AMI Scholarship only once, for one certificate course offered by International Association of Professions Career College.